The BEST Canned Tomatoes Ever!
1. Scald, Skin and quarter a 1/2 bushel of garden tomatoes (should almost fill a cold pack canner- making sure you have enough room in the pot for vegetable mixture below).
2. OPTIONAL: Run the quartered tomatoes through a food processor for smoother texture (kids prefer this because the finished product will have no chunks).
3. Place tomatoes on stove top in large pot (I use a cold pack canner pot) and bring to a boil, leave on medium high while you move onto the next step.
4. In a food processor, chop the following vegetables (you don't need to mince them, just thoroughly chop): 6 large onions, 3 medium green peppers and 1 bunch of celery.
5. Place vegetable mixture in a seperate pot and cook for 30 minutes with 3/4 cup water. (Your kitchen will be smelling SO GOOD at this point).
6. Add the vegetable mixture to your bubbling tomatoes.
7. Add the following ingredients to your mixture: 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup non-iodized salt. Mix thoroughly.
8. Place 2 TBS of LEMON JUICE in your quart jars (this should make about 14-18 jars total). And then pour the tomato mixture into them.
9. Pressure cook at 13 lbs for 35 minutes.